Sunday, January 13, 2013

Crypt of the Everflame Game Play

When finally had the chance to use my Hirst Arts crypt in game play.  I made some alterations to the encounter to allow us to spend a bit more time with it.  Instead of the written four skellies supporting Asar I have him fifteen.  Some of these were D&D fourth edition-esque "minions".  I did not want to TPK the party, but I did want to extend the number of rounds they were there.  Not all fifteen were exposed at first either, so this lessened the impact.  In addition one skeleton had a trick-shot bow that he used to disarm, trip, etc.  Again, not causing damage, just delaying players.  Another skeleton used an enhanced bashing shield (written into the encounter) to bull rush with.

Asar at first held the hostage as a shield to prevent ranged attacks.  I also gave him a "Push" spell ability to push back immediate threats.  Last, I allowed Asar to raise four corpses (the bandits) as minion style zombies.  When that happened the collapse feature of my crypt archway was triggered, hampering players in the area.

Doing all this took the encounter towards, but not TOO close to a TPK.  We had two members down at one point, and let us play for over two hours.  A good time was had by all.  Other modifications to this encounter included an interesting magic item for each player.  Again, this module was the first RPG experience for a couple of the members, and a early experience for a couple others, so I wanted there to be some good loot as a reward for them.


Check out the Flikr - Photo Set.

No comments:

Post a Comment