Sunday, January 6, 2013

Good Use for Chessex Dice Containers

So here is a good use for Chessex (and other) dice containers ... miniatures gift boxes! We were trying to go a little cheaper this Christmas so one of the things I gave my kids and wife were custom painted figures by me.  In trying to find a way to nicely display the figures I stumbled across some Chessex dice containers (of which we have many).  I used a 4x1 square lego puttied into the black base.  I used the same reuseable and non-permanent poster putty to hold the figure onto the lego.  I put blue decorative tissue paper around the base and sealed them up.  They stay in place even when the packages were wrapped and banged around a little.
Flickr Photo Set
While I'm on the topic I will present some of my recent paints. It's been years, perhaps 25 years, since I painted mini's. Back in my day I basically did it all through trial and error. No YouTube tutorials, I didn't talk at the stores (American Eagles in Seattle) about technique, and the couple other people that were also painting did not venture out of the circle we were all a part of. So, when my kids encouraged the re-introduction of D&D, and we evolved beyond Lego figures I started painting again ... and now I have YouTube. YouTube can teach you anything. Here is a Flikr Photo Set - "Figures", with some of my recent paints. I would say that these fall somewhere in quality between "better than your standard pre-painted plastic miniature" and "well below the pro" jobs. I am quite pleased with my current output however, even though as GirlPainting on YouTube would say, they are not a very "high standard".

No comments:

Post a Comment